Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Christmas Eve Like No Other

It was a Christmas Eve like no other.

A little over 30 years ago, I gave birth to a Christmas Eve baby.

She was early. Very early.

I was able to touch her sweet hand before they carried her away to the NICU.

Once settled in my room, my husband went home to be with our toddler son. Many of his family members had gathered there as well.

I vividly remember the quiet in my room that night.

I sat alone.

In the dark.

One might think I felt sorry for myself. A sick little girl in the NICU. My family celebrating Christmas without me. 1,000 miles away from my own daddy and momma.

No.

By the grace of God there was no self-pity.

Because by the grace of God, I gained a new perspective of that holy, special night so long ago.

I thought of young Mary. Delivering her sweet boy in the damp darkness of a cave that formed the barn. Joseph nearby. Donkeys and camels here and there.

Can you see them? The flames from the fire Joseph tended casting shadows across the baby, wrapped in strips of cloth, tucked in a feeding trough carved out of rock.

Can you see them? Joseph is offering a cool sip of  water to Mary. He thinks she is the strongest, most amazing woman he's ever known.

Can you see them? Mary has examined the baby's toes and kissed the top of his head. She held him close. He knew, yes He knew. He was loved from the moment He took His first breath.

There, in the stillness of night, the shepherds bowed and they worshipped.

Mary placed these moments in her heart. She scooped the baby up, nestled him against her neck, and treasured what she saw, felt, heard, and knew.

I walked down the deserted hall to the NICU. I looked at my sweet girl, hooked up to monitors, tubes, and an iv. I marveled at the frailty of life.

I had no doubt that serene evening. The miracle of the birth of Jesus was the beginning. And because He put on flesh ... I knew He would take care of my helpless baby girl.

I spent the rest of that Christmas Eve praising God for my Savior.

 This year, my little girl of 30 years ago, will celebrate Christmas Eve holding her blue eyed baby boy. I'm pretty sure it will be Christmas Eve unlike any she has ever known.


1 comment: