Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Different Kind of Christmas

The last chapel I had the honor of leading with the TOCS elementary students for the year 2017 was special to me. Those kids have brought much joy to my life.

I brought a gift bag and told them I had something unique to show them.

The bag contained a Belk sales add, a jingle bell necklace, a stuffed reindeer, a little snowman, and a sparkly festive box inside a box inside a box.

At the bottom of the bag, under all the trappings and waiting to be uncovered, was a nativity scene.

As I sit here at my mom's, there are no gifts under our tree back home. It has been a different kind of Christmas season.

I am at ease with this simplicity. With a forced perspective of the importance of the best gifts that have no glitter or bows. The best gifts cannot be packaged or wrapped. The best gifts can never be taken away.

Time spent with the people we love, from wiggling infant to aging adult--are moments that are priceless.

It would be easy to allow even the best gift of time with family to overshadow the source of hope.

The source of peace.

The source of strength.

The source of joy.

Because of our God's merciful compassion, the Dawn from on high will visit us to shine on those who live in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.
Luke 1:28-29

The Dawn from on high will visit us ...

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know. Fills my every longing, keeps me singing as I go. 

Oh, that I would never allow even the best in life to become trappings that cover The Dawn.

It's a different kind of Christmas for many people I hold dear.

Hold fast, friends ... Dawn is nigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment