Saturday, September 16, 2017

Lamp Unto Her Feet by Paula Mowery


 My friend, Paula Mowery, has just released her new book Lamp Unto Her Feet. I know I have many blog readers who gobble up this genre. Let's share in Paula's excitement of this new work!
Here's my interview with Paula. Read. Learn. Enjoy!

What genre is Lamp Unto Her Feet?

Christian romance with a bit of suspense thrown in.



What do you enjoy most about the genre?

Christian romance and Christian romantic suspense are my favorites to read. I enjoy the fact that I don’t have to worry about profanity or explicit sexual scenes. I also like that I’m reading stories about characters who are Christians like me or some who discover Christ. Just like I enjoy reading those type of stories, those are the type I like to write and provide for my readers.



Where did the idea for Lamp Unto Her Feet come from or what got the wheels turning?

My paternal grandmother’s Bible was the inspiration for this story. One day I was flipping through her Bible and noticed many underlined and highlighted verses and passages. I was especially drawn to some verses she had underlined in succession in 1 John. Upon closer inspection, these verses were all about reasons John had for writing his letters. These verses actually became the basis for why I write.

After this, I wondered about what kind of story I could create in which a young woman gains her grandmother’s Bible and the verses and commentary from her guide the young woman. Thus, Kenzie’s story was born.



Were you close to your grandmother? What was she like?

My paternal grandmother, Mamaw Smith, died when I was quite young. But I did get the opportunity as a girl to know her. When my brother and I stayed at her house, she would play hide and seek with us. She also taught me much without even knowing it. When we would rest, she would sing the nursery rhymes. I can still sing those from the memories from those moments there. Sometimes we would go to her house for Sunday dinner. She always had fried chicken, mashed potatoes with peas in the center of them, and bread. She also always made red jello with fruit in it. She was the epitome of the verse about being a gentle and quiet spirit.



Have you considered writing a series using the characters in this book?

I have thought briefly about it, but I’m thinking it will remain a stand alone.



How did writing Lamp Unto Her Feet strengthen you in your faith?

Honestly, writing this story reminded and cemented the idea that the Bible is God’s Word and He guides us through it. We can rely upon it and know it will never fail us.



Why should someone who normally doesn’t read romantic fiction pick up a copy of Lamp Unto Her Feet?

Readers will also find a bit of suspense in this story. Since the hero, Trevor, is a police officer, there are scenes related to his work that become quite intense but are very real compared to today’s headlines.



Paula is a pastor’s wife, mom to a college student, author, acquiring editor, and speaker. No matter hat she wears, she strives to honor God’s plan even if it means going out on a limb and leaving comfort zones. Reviewers have characterized her writing as “thundering with emotion.” Her book, Be The Blessing, won the 2014 Selah Award in the novella category. Paula enjoys reading and reviewing Christian fiction, writing Christian romance and devotionals, and helping other authors realize their dream of publication.  

 Learn more about Paula and find other places to link with her on her blog at www.paulamowery.blogspot.com




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me! I might have to amend one of my answers. Someone asked me about a sequel and now my mind has been spinning. There just might be another one to come ...

    ReplyDelete