Sunday, July 30, 2017

Flip Flops, Full Bellies and a Loose Tooth

It's almost time to close the chapter of VBS 2017.

So.Much.Work.

So.Much.Fun.

I don't think it's possible to put into words exactly what happens during the week we call VBS.

But, is it possible to keep the focus among the hundreds (yes, thank God, I said hundreds) of little faces that passed by multiple times a day?

Is it possible to keep the focus by Thursday, when adults and teen helpers are fatigued?

Is it possible to remember we were all together last week for such a time as this--to tell the good news of the great Gospel of Jesus?

Yes. Yes it is.

Easy? No. Never easy.

I love that I am blessed to have the birds-eye view of what takes places 9:00-12:30, Monday through Friday during TOBC VBS. (I know the same things happen at thousands of churches across the nation)

Children get fed snacks and lunches. Their thirst is quenched by ice cold lemonade.

Children wearing shoes too small or too large find themselves offered a pair just their size.

Lord, when did we see you naked and clothe you or hungry and feed you?

Vacation Bible School.

As we poured into the lives and hearts of these kids, we overcame fatigue and irritability for the sake of the gospel. We taught the children they were created on purpose and with purpose, by a loving God who wants a relationship with each one of us.

We sang songs about God's love that will ring in their hearts all year long.

We learned amazing biblical truth--seeds planted in willing hearts.

I watched as adults prayed together, laughed together, and built new friendships.

And yupp, there was even a loose tooth pulled after Mom gave us permission.

What happens now that the decorations are down and the materials ready to pass along to another church?

What happens now that the volunteers have gone back to their daily routines and the kids get ready to begin another school year?

My prayer is each one who came in contact with The One True God--volunteers and kids--would be changed because of it. Each person, ready to be UNCOMMON in their lives.

My prayer is for the volunteers to crave to be used by God to help others know him and love Him.

My prayer is for the children to want more...more of Jesus.

I love VBS.

I love my Jesus.

I love what God does that week.

And I can't wait to see what He is doing because of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment