Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Being Good is Overrated

Being good.

Mind your manners. Be nice. Don't break things. Eat you green veggies. Don't talk back.
Do your homework. Pick up your toys. Wash behind your ears. Go to church on Sundays. Never tell a lie. Don't cuss. Read your Bible. Take out the trash. Follow the rules. Pray every day. Work hard.  Play harder. Earn your way. Listen. Smile. Drive the speed limit. Be generous. Leave things better than you found them. Tell the waitress she's doing a great job. Come to a complete stop before turning right. Wash your hands. Take your vitamins. Wear sunscreen.

And ...

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

And if the attitude of the heart is wrong ... none of the above things is pleasing to God.

A person could be good his entire life and never see heaven. Read the scripture ... Jesus never said "Be good."

I am going to choose godliness. Godliness is this: an attitude of the heart that focuses on pleasing God.

Many years ago, I learned the most important thing I can do is choose to please Jesus. I learned it's more than what I say and do ... it's also what I think.

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to You, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer!

We were never told to be good, but scripture is clear ... be holy, because I am holy.

Holiness is godliness. Godliness is an attitude of the heart that focuses on pleasing God.

Instead of being good, let's choose to be godly.

I love that God gave us the ability to choose to know Him by spending time with Him, by reading His words and by praising Him. I'm thankful He never said "be good." 

Poor Santa Claus ... he's got it all wrong.

Dear God, May the words I speak and think please and glorify you. In my life Lord, be glorified.


No comments:

Post a Comment