Saturday, July 1, 2017

America's Son

It was early July, 2011.

We were there with others. We looked on with pride and fear as America's sons, brothers, and fathers took their places in line up.

We were there to support them and pray for them and to wish them well and to say "We will see you later."

And we watched with pride and fear as America's sons, brothers, and fathers boarded the bus.

As for me, I couldn't breathe. I looked at my tall, strong young man and I saw the little boy who spent years in the dirt. The boy who farmers sought out on Sunday mornings, asking him to pray for rain. The little boy who preferred anything outdoors over anything indoors.

And I saw the light-hearted boy who stood next to me as we watched the towers fall the day before his 12th birthday. The day that something moved in his heart.

I saw the teenager who talked with me--sometimes late into the night--about school, football, his future, life and love and God.

I saw a young man who determined 10 years earlier to make a difference.

America's son, the young man who told his "Pop" and me, "I am safer in God's will in Afghanistan than outside His will in Greeneville,"

After the bus drove out of sight, the families of those who came to support, pray, wish them well and say "We will see you later" solemnly slipped into their vehicles.

There were no words in our car. I can't say what moved through the hearts and minds of our young man's pop and sisters...but I remember clearly what moved in me.

Blurry vision and still unable to breathe, I determined I would pray every day...okay, without ceasing...and trust God to be who He says He is.

Just as events change lives forever--births, deaths, storms, graduations, illnesses, weddings--deployment changed me forever.

There are truths in life that have always caused great awe in me...

The American flag.

Veterans, old and young.

The Star Spangled Banner.

The Constitution.

The Declaration of Independence.

The thought of a God who created us and cares about the details of life.

And watching God work in and through my children.

It was early July, 2011.

Yes, the star spangled banner still waves, o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Thank you, Lord.

Thank you, USMC Sergeant Pierce.

Thank you, American Military.

I still pray without ceasing.










No comments:

Post a Comment