Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Star Light, Star Bright First Star I See Tonight. . .




God scattered the stars like dazzling diamonds on a sea of black velvet at the dawn of time. He knew we would gaze up at night and gain hope for a better tomorrow, knowing Someone with great power created such wonder.

And in His great wisdom, He knew we would need the blessings in life to guide us like a shepherds staff guides the sheep safely into the fold before the cover of night.

I guess most of us think of blessings as things such as

a wet kiss from your grand-baby

someone who pays for your food in the Wendy's drive thru

a card in the mail from a sweet friend who is "thinking of you"

the sight of the American flag waving in the breeze

a surprise phone call from one of your kids "just because"

puppy breath

These things are blessings for sure, and I love them all.

Here lately though, I find myself thinking and talking about an entirely different kind of blessing.

I am certain you can relate to the "what next" kind of day; and I am not referring to the simple stuff like a flat tire, a headache and being dog-tired.

No, I'm talking bigger. For me it's when people I love are hurting--facing surgery, worry over a much loved pet that may not live through the night, relationship strains and the dreaded "C" word we have all come to despise.

I bet you think I sat at your dinner table and listened in as you discussed your concerns for the people you love.

As I look life's difficulties square in the face tonight, I find myself feeling incredibly blessed.  I admit, I am surprised at God's incredible work and grace in the middle of storms that should be pulling me under.

Instead, I am learning and growing and relying more on The Only One who loves me best.

I see God placing His gentle, Fatherly arms of grace securely around the people I love.

Friends from all over remind me many times a day of their prayers, support, and "call me if you need me."

Most of all, with every prayer I whisper, with every tear that falls, and when worry over things I cannot control threatens to rise within me,

God steps in.

And I am calmed by the reminder

LIFT UP YOUR EYES ON HIGH AND SEE: WHO CREATED THESE? HE WHO BRINGS OUT THEIR HOST BY NUMBER, CALLING THEM BY NAME, BY THE GREATNESS OF HIS MIGHT, AND BECAUSE HE IS STRONG IN POWER NOT ONE IS MISSING.
ISAIAH 40:26

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight--no need to wish, it's not by my might, I know God is answering my prayers tonight. 
He's near, He hears, I'll feel no fear--He made the stars and the message is clear, He knows what's best, He'll dry my tears.

Joy comes in the morning.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment