Friday, April 28, 2017

In The Waiting

The courtyard in Ochsner Hospital is incredibly relaxing. The atmosphere is oddly serene. Hundreds of people have already passed by as I drink my coffee, pray for my mom and listen to the piano music's familiar tunes-

 whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well, it is well with my soul.

Waiting.

I'm not alone in my waiting.

All these people, they are waiting too. Waiting to hear, waiting to see, waiting to know.

As they pass by on their way to only God knows where and what, I wonder . . . do they know Him?

Are they waiting alone?

Furrowed brows and pained smiles,  quick steps with heavy feet.

I find myself thinking of my life's verse - Joshua 1:9 - as I wait on my mom to finish her scans this morning.

God's promise, "Don't be afraid. Be courageous. I am with you wherever you go."

When you face false accusations - I am with you.

When the biopsy comes back - I am with you.

When he/she walks out - I am with you.

As you fall into anesthesia-induced sleep - I am with you.

When you finally realize you have no control - I am with you.

As I pray for my mom and our family members who long to control the outcomes, as I pray for my friends in their own battles, as I pray for these strangers as they pass me by,

I praise God for keeping His promises. And I pray that, through the journey of uncertainties, we all know Him more intimately, love Him greater, trust Him more and give Him glory for every good thing.

May those who don't understand God as they watch to see how we respond find us faithful. As they look on and wonder if we have gone loony tunes, may they move from intrigue to interest. May they want what we have.

I hate waiting.

But waiting serves a purpose when we spend that time determining to put our trust in God and God alone.
Come unto me all who are weary and burdened, I will give you rest.








No comments:

Post a Comment