Saturday, October 3, 2015

When I Walk Through The Door--What Teens & Kids Wish You Knew


When I walk Through the Door…

I am glad you are at church when I get there. I’m glad I can count on you to be there.

When I come to church

              Please don’t assume my insides are as together as my outsides appear. It is easy to put on the Sunday face…

                        You might think you know my family- but you don’t. It’s possible that my dad is addicted to pain pills or my mom would rather work than be with me. It’s possible that my parents fight all the time and have separate bedrooms.

       Don’t over-concern yourself with how straight I sit or how closely you think I am paying attention. I may be slumped in my chair with my head down, but I am hearing every word.

                                              Keep yourself mindful that perhaps I have a parent who is chronically ill….

Please, please be happy to see me. Sometimes I wonder why my teachers at school seem happier to see me than you do. I need to know you genuinely care about me, not because you HAVE to but because you feel it in your heart.

When I come to church

                 Please don’t assume I am content with myself…would you be surprised to know I’ve contemplated suicide?

     I need you to laugh with me.  School is hard, home is hard, I have struggles I don’t tell anyone.

I want to learn about Jesus but I NEED to see Him in you. I NEED you to SHOW me why this Christian way of living is best.

I don’t understand when you are grouchy and take it out on me. I can stay home for that.

                       I love it when you listen to me and I can tell you are truly listening. I feel accepted and important to you when you are smiling, call me by my name, and hug me!

                                                   I feel secure when you pray with me and the prayer is not generic but specific to the things I have told you. It means a lot when you remember and ask me about the things we have prayed about together.

When “things” happen in my life I want to know I can call you. I need you to cry with me, laugh with me, dream with me, cheer for me, be Jesus in my life.

I am glad you are at church when I get there. I’m glad I can count on you to be there.
Maybe this is what the adult next to you wishes you knew as well.
Acts 2

                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment