Saturday, September 26, 2015

Today is the Day


When Tommy and I married I thought he was the most handsome man I knew. He loved God and was determined to follow His lead no matter the cost. He was strong, full of character, kind, and smart. I knew him well enough to know I would be with him the rest of my life. Looking back over the journey of nearly 34 years, I realize I hardly knew him when we began our lives together.



   I asked Jesus to be my Savior when I was 15. I had begun to learn who He is many years earlier. I remember walking through Minnesota woods and looking up at the beautiful Minnesota sky and thinking there must be someone out there who made all this. I knew that there was a God who must love us very much. I experienced His love through the people who taught me in Vacation Bible School and the weekly religion day our school provided. I remember asking my mom questions about God. I learned that He loved me and He carried the whole world in His hands. I learned through Bible stories that He is compassionate and patient, mighty and strong.



   I have learned a lot over the years. I have experienced that each trial, great or small, is allowed so I can grow. I know that the Scripture is true; He is faithful to continue the work He began in me. I can trust him because I know Him.



   God has given each of us the gift and the marching orders to know Him and to be the one to help others know Him. We have the freedom to choose what we invest our time in. As a pastor’s wife and children’s ministry director, I get to spend every day investing in others. Sometimes I get frustrated when folks don’t seem to “get” the importance of what goes on in the classrooms with the kids. If you were to stand outside a room and listen, it would sound like a lot of fun, and fun it is! We try to deliver every Bible truth we teach in fun, but we know it is life and death serious business. As we commit ourselves to this end, we need parents and families whose commitment surpasses ours.



 If I could communicate one thing to parents it would be the importance of being the ones to disciple their own kids. I would ask parents to commit Deuteronomy 6 to their memories. Parents should purposefully weigh every activity they lead their kids to be a part of against Deuteronomy 6 and if that activity doesn’t measure up to have the guts to say no. Because you see, if you don’t know Him, it doesn’t matter how talented you are, how much stuff you have, how well you play ball or how many friends you have. The Bible says if you don’t know Him, the rest is worthless.



    Dad, mom, it’s never too late to start down the path that leads your kids to knowing God. It isn’t an easy path, but God is the promise keeper who has told us that when we obey Him, He will walk with us and be our God and we will be His people.  Search for a church that preaches and teaches the truth and you will find a support system in place that will not judge your shortcomings but will be glad to help you along the way. Today is the day.



   After many adventures in ministry, parenthood and life, I now know Tommy well. I do not take for granted the fact that he is still the most handsome man I know, strong, full of character, kind, and smart. I am still enamored in knowing he will follow God’s lead no matter the cost. He has clean hands and a pure heart. His children and I can tell you we trust him because we know him.



    It is my heart’s desire for EVERY child to be able to say I TRUST GOD BECAUSE I KNOW HIM.



 Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes.” Jeremiah 17:7-8.

I Trust Him because I Know Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment