Thursday, October 22, 2015

Truth Matters: The Banghazi Hearings


To be totally honest…

To tell you the truth…

The truth as I see it…

I’m watching the Benghazi Hearings as they question Hillary C. My personal politics aside, I am passionate about my country, the United States’ men and women in the military, and the lies that flowed out of the mouths of officials in the days and weeks (and even now) following that horrible night.

I realize that most of our kids are in school as I write this and even if they were home they would likely not be watching this exchange. As our elected leaders dance around the truth, I wonder…have so many lies been told that no one even knows the truth? Have so many lies been told that the liar believes his/her own lies? Or are we all to the place where we have accepted lies as the norm and relative truth rules the day?

Several years ago I had the privilege of meeting with a group of teenage girls once a week. I asked them if it was possible to go an entire day without lying. They all said no. They did not believe me when I said not only is it possible to go a full day, it is possible to be a truthful person for weeks and months.

Truth is important to God. He, in fact, is Truth. As a believer in the Lord Jesus I know personally that the truth truly does set me free. Truth is of such importance to God that it made the list of the perfect ten for living. Read the list of the 7 things God hates, you will find a lying tongue.

Understand that when truth is attacked on any level God is under attack. Relative truth is a scheme of the devil. He started it in the garden when he asked, “Did God REALLY say...” and he said, “Did God REALLY mean…” Lies place doubts in the mind and heart. Doubts and faith do not belong in the same space.

Teach your children:

It is not okay to tell half of the story.

It is not okay to change just one little word so you feel better about what you’re saying.

Tell the truth.

No matter who you are truth should be central in your character.

Do not fear the truth.

If you don’t know the truth, don’t make up an answer.

Tell the truth.

Truth is for our good.

As you teach your kids, be sure you are living it. Show them truth.  Be certain your kids see you making decisions, speaking, parenting, working, loving all based on truth.

Protect your kids from a lifestyle of lies. I know there is a lot you cannot control, but it is your responsibility to step up and protect your kids from adopting the lifestyle the world offers. Ask yourself:

What movies/programs am I allowing my kids to watch?

What video games am I allowing my kids to play?

When I know my child just lied to me, no matter how small the matter might be, do I pass over the lie because I do not have the energy to deal with it? Or do I take the opportunity to teach just how important truth is?

Am I open with my kids about how difficult is it at times to be honest, but in spite of the struggle, the truth should always be told?

Have I taken the time to teach my kids that once a lie is told and trust is broken it takes time to rebuild that trust?

I want the parents of my TOBC kids to know, that if and when your child lies to me, I will not walk away or pat him/her on the head. There are times I see an action or hear unkind words and I question the guilty only to be lied to. I understand, no one wants to be in trouble. But I will not let the opportunity to teach, in love, that the truth is important to God.

Confession—I made many mistakes as my kids were growing up. My kids are all real people; they came from parents who are real people. Aren’t you glad, that we are all in the same boat but the word of God is in the boat with us?

I realize I have barely scratched the surface of the value of truth. Please search your Bible for yourself. Invite your kids to search with you. Discover truth together.

The horrible attacks were 3 years ago and, because people do not want to just tell the truth, we are still trying to figure it all out. My heart aches for the families. My heart aches for America.

Truth Matters.


3 comments: