Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Where is God When It's Dark: A Page From a Caregivers Journal


There are many things we cannot fully know until we experience it ourselves.

The complete joys and trials of parenthood

Growing old

True contentment

Forgiveness

The love of a faithful friend

Enduring a chronic illness

Caring for a chronically ill person

And the presence of God in the dark



    Many thoughts crowd a heart and mind in the darkness and uncertainty of a hospital room. There are no visitors to say a prayer and wish you well.  The unrelenting wrestling match between what is and what might be or could be or hopefully will be enters round number….what is it? Infinity it seems. Darkness can feel like a safe friend with an evil twin sister.  In the quiet solitude I pray the nurses will not enter and disturb her precious sleep, for even as she groans, at least she is sleeping.

  I am a reluctant traveler, having been thrust down a path I did not choose. I have dug my heels into the mud as a child whose mother has announced, “It is time to leave the park and go home.”  I am here. In the dark. Trying to breathe as I cry out to the Father to please, please bring answers and relief.

  The monitor sounds the alarm for attention as the bag of fluid drips to a close. Funny, how quickly a nurse tends to a screaming monitor.

 I think of how I am screaming inside and asking for attention from The One who surely knows I am feeling empty. I am told over and over and over again that many are praying and yet, it seems nothing is changing. Prayer is such a mystery.

My mind leafs through scripture passages I have used to encourage others. My heart aches as I find myself wondering why they bring me no solace at this moment.

 I am such a fraud. A pastor’s wife who speaks faith to others and yet feels so empty in the dark.



This may be confusing to my friends who do not know Jesus as Savior. People who do not know Jesus tell people who do not know Jesus that if He really loved us we would never suffer pain or confusion or trips through the faith wilderness. They have falsely assumed He is equipped to be the “you-aint-never-had-a-friend-like-me” Genie from Aladdin.

This excerpt might possibly confuse some of my friends who do know Jesus as Savior. There’s another false teaching out there. It’s the assumption all Christians never question, never wonder why, never have moments of desperation.

King David is described as being after God’s own heart. He was God’s chosen man, and yet he despaired and exclaimed “My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever.”



The journal entry I have shared is many years old and has been relived many times. One of the wonderful truths about belonging to Jesus is, just like King David, my despair doesn’t change my Savior. The failure of my flesh and my heart does not challenge the victory of the battle over my soul.



Every hardship of life is worth the trip when we determine in our hearts to trust The One who knows everything. If we refuse to take a detour when we find ourselves on the unpaved path, we will find The Lord will also be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.



When I turn my full focus to what is and not on God as my deliverer, I feel empty in the dark.



When I turn my eyes on my Savior and choose to trust Him even when I don’t understand, His peace-bearing presence is just as real as the clicking of the IV monitor. Am I a fraud? Oh no, I am just a sometimes-confused striver.



God’s presence in the dark has quieted my panic when my son was serving in Afghanistan.



His presence in the dark has whispered rest for my weary body when worry tries to push in.



God’s presence in the dark has applied healing balm to my pain when I give up my need to understand and choose to trust Him because He is The God of Nevertheless.  



With His presence comes the fulfillment of the promise found in Psalm 31, Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.



So, to my friends that have never believed in Jesus as Savior—my prayer is that one day very soon you will choose Him over your own way and know what I have described.



To my friends who know Jesus as Savior—do not listen to the enemy who would have you believe God has left you alone in the dark.



He is there. He will be very gracious unto thee at the voice of thy cry; when He shall hear it, He will answer thee. Isaiah 30:19











No comments:

Post a Comment