Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Back-to-School-Anxiety-Blues


I have four kids. They are all adults now and, I must say, they are all pretty awesome.

I was one of those crazy moms that loved snow days, government holidays, long weekends, fall and spring breaks...I even liked it when we had so much rain that the schools closed because of flooding.

Being at home with my kids was my favorite!

I especially loved summers with my kids. I have wonderful memories of board games, afternoon reading, movies, little league games and swimming.

I can even remember getting on to them about fighting, sending them to their rooms, and wanting to pull my hair out.

Even when it got a bit stressful, summers were good. Life was good.

In the blink of an eye, August would raise its intrusive head.

And

extreme

anxiety

 followed.

I would stay awake late into the night wishing I could stop time.

I wrung my hands and felt my chest get tight every time I'd glance over the back-to-school shopping list.

Once you have a child in kindergarten, you know what happens.

August melts into fall, which turns into Christmas, which quickly becomes Spring Break. Blink again and it's May--time for piano and dance recitals and another school year is in the review mirror.

Do this 11 more times and your kid graduates.

Hey moms, can I get a witness or am I the only one?

How did I survive 4 kids school year in and school year out without boarding the crazy train? After a few years of the anxiety, I learned a better way to handle watching my kids grow up and the inevitable fact that they would one day be adults out on their own.

Here is the Readers Digest version of Shelley's August Anti-Anxiety Advice...

  • Remember God is in control. Always. Period.
  • Your kids are not alone and neither are you.
  • Pray for your children and their new teachers.
  • Read and commit to memory scriptures such as Psalm 94:10, 1 Peter 5:7, Psalm 118:6 and Proverbs 12:25.

Here's another thought to consider.

Teachers everywhere feel their own kind of August anxiety. Be THAT mom. The mom that offers words of encouragement and prayers for wisdom, health, and strength for each day.

One of God's promises to His kids is to keep your mind at perfect peace when you are focused on Him.

When August anxiety raises its head you have a choice to make. You can get all balled up inside, half destroy your nerves and change nothing or you can make the mindful decision to trust God.

The hard reality is, allowing anxiety to take up residence in your heart is the result of not trusting God to take care of you and your children.

It's almost August. Here's your to do list:

  • Pray for the teachers
  • Pray for the kids
  • Pray for yourself
  • Look for and praise God for every single blessing in your life
  • Be THAT mom

Now, to my Towering Oaks Baptist Church parents -- I look forward to a new school year, which means a new year in ministry. I look forward to another year of growing and learning with you and your child.

I'm proud of you. I know you will be THAT mom!

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love summer and snow days with my kids! I get sad when back to school time rolls around again. I am going to try to be THAT Mom who will pray for the teachers and encourage and leave the anxiety behind.....all things are possible with God! Thank you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete