Saturday, August 1, 2015

I've Got Friends in Low Places

Okay, you've read the title...go ahead, sing the song and thank me later for how it will play in your head the rest of the day.


The country song was a hit in the 90's. My eldest son and his buddy loved to sing it, usually at the most inopportune times.


You'll be relieved to know I am not talking about a bar room or about people who lack social graces. On the contrary I am speaking about friends, many of whom I worship with weekly, who are covered in God's grace.


And yet lately I have more friends in low places than anywhere else.


They are climbing uphill battles that are covered with pitfalls, pain and confusion.


The pitfalls of the unexpected and unimagined hurt caused by someone they love.
The pain of illness--newly discovered or chronic--illness that attempts every day to steal their joy and cover them in despair.
The confusion of feeling ignored by God or set aside because prayers aren't being answered fast enough.
There are others who are buried in debt or are so worried about the unknown they can't catch their breath.
Many are feeling hopeless as each day our news reveals the deep depravity of mankind without Jesus. 


Whoever came up with the logo Life is Good missed the mark. Life is hard.


Some days are more difficult than others. Anyone who has lived past the age of 13 can attest to that.
There are "flairs" of  trial that are undefined and indefinite. That word "flair" is used by people who suffer with chronic or autoimmune issues. They will tell you a flair is how an episode of illness is described. It can be anything from minor, nagging issues that last a day to debilitating pain that lasts for weeks.


Do you find that you are one of my low friends?  Are you struggling today?


I have good news. Wait...strike that! I have GREAT news!


You see, I know this Promise Keeper and He is aware of your struggle. Not only is He aware of it, He has experienced the pain and pitfalls Himself. And He loves you.


King David knew Him well. David talked to God a lot and we have the benefit of his conversation. Check this out...David said (to God):
It was good for me to be afflicted so I might learn your precepts. My comfort in my sufferings is this--Your promise preserves my life. You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in Your word.
David reminds us:
I call upon the LORD in my distress, and He answers me. The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: "The Lord has done mighty things!"




Low is a very scary place to be. I don't know anyone who would choose it. Will you accept some advice from someone who has spent her fair share in the low-land? Just a few things...
  • It's okay to be where you are, it's not okay to stay there. Sometimes all it takes is a good, hard cry and some time talking it out with God. Other times, extra help is needed. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
  • No matter what is weighing you down--health, confusion, hurt-- you can trust God to take care of you. Read the Psalms, John 14, Isaiah 26:3, and 41:10. Spending time in the Bible will bring your spirits up and will give you strength for the day.
  • Do something for someone else. Maybe even anonymously. Realize there are hurting people all around you who need a kind encouraging word, a hug, or a pat on the back. Never assume a single person in your circle of friends or the strangers in the grocery store are free from pain.
  • Pump up the jam! (yeah, I just embarrassed my kids with that one) God lives in the praise of His people. That's words from the Bible, not Shelley. God LIVES in your praises! So click on Pandora and create a Third Day, Brooklyn Tab, or Skillet station. Praise Him, praise Him all ye little children, God is love, God is love!
Dear Friend in low places, be encouraged today. You can trust God to take care of you. You can trust God to take care of your loved one who hurts. You can trust God to keep His promises. 

1 comment: