Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Calendars and Memories

I met the Pierce family 37 years ago.

I was a terrified 17 year old who was in love with their handsome son.

They welcomed me and one year later made me family.

I'm sure that you, like me, mark the passage of time by remembering "what we were doing last year at this time."

Over the years we traveled over the river and through the woods to G & G for our Thanksgiving Christmas.

I like to think about the many experiences from carsick kids to The Music Man to "one more Barney," which is how we answered the question "how much longer"?

From sleeping toddlers to grouchy kids to arguing teens who were great at making us feel like we were the unreasonable ones ... we made the yearly trek to celebrate family.

I remember the Thanksgiving prior to Josh deploying as a Marine. I could feel the pride and concern that emanated from G & G. I blinked my eyes and we were celebrating Thanksgiving with our own Marine son deployed. I don't think I will ever forget the skype call and how thankful I was so see his face and hear his voice.

There were years of undercurrents of sorrow and obvious joys. There were missing family members that lived too far away, were too sick to travel, or couldn't get the time off and we enjoyed celebrated times of marriages, new babies and accomplishments of education and advancing careers.

And the thread of a strong legacy of redemption, forgiveness and dedication to Jesus is woven in and around and throughout the lives that began with one man and one woman who love each other and determined to serve God in plenty and in want.

G & G teach us with words, actions, tears and prayers. We have learned what the love of Christ looks like by what they have modeled for us.

No one likes how the passage of time changes our lives. If we could, we would put our families in a holding pattern and enjoy the sweet times until Jesus returns.

I love looking back at God's faithfulness over 37 years. I love thanking Him for making me a Pierce. I feel the responsibility to continue the legacy of dedication to Jesus in plenty and in want.

And I love knowing God is faithful with our futures. Life changes and holding patterns are not possible. But, we have the wonderful gift of THIS MOMENT, to hold in our hands ... to cherish ... and to add to the calendar of memories.

Thank You, LORD, for the wonderful gift of family.


No comments:

Post a Comment