Thursday, November 9, 2017

A Man Called Ramsey

He reminded me of my dad from the moment I met him.

Was it because he wore his hair in the same way?

Was it because he spoke his  mind?

Was it because he had a soft place in his heart for kids?

Mr.Ramsey left this world today. He stepped from a hurting, broken, sick body of 87 years old into the perfect presence of the One He loved and served.

His legacy is a family full of love for each other and Jesus.

The work of his hands is scattered all over this town and his church. He could lay tile to perfection.

I had immense respect for the man who stepped up and helped me in children's ministry as best he could. Several years, until his health no longer allowed, he was part of our security team during Vacation Bible School. He was always the first one there.

The children know him for the lollipops and bear hugs. Many sought him out because it was important to them to get a "Mr.Ramsey bear hug" every Sunday morning. I know that what he did for the children goes beyond hugs. You see, the faithful love he showed week after week after week after week spoke Jesus to the children. Our kids learn the love of God through us before they experience it for themselves.

I had immense respect for him because he wanted whatever was done to be done right. There were times I felt chastised by him. It was to make me better, not to tear me down.

I suppose, in my heart, I will continue to see him walking up the steps near the preschool welcome desk. I will hear him ask me if I added another step since last week. I'll remember him saying "I didn't get my hug today."

I hurt for those nearest to him, for his absence will fill the room. He poured his life into his family and his church. I will pray for his family. I will pray for his church. I will pray for the children. I will pray for myself.

Heaven truly gets sweeter as the days go by.

I wonder, has he met my dad yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment