Sunday, November 20, 2016

Thursday Way of Thinking

Thanksgiving--visions of sweet potatoes and turkey, pies and green bean casserole. There will be a jello salad and warm, fluffy yeast rolls. And best of all, family.

I love Thanksgiving.

I love remembering.

My mom's Thanksgiving feast included turkey and ham and an array of vegetables. I'm certain I'm still carrying a few extra pounds due to that wonderful syrup in the bottom of the sweet potato pan that I would dredge the dinner rolls through. Oh.my.word I can still taste it. How I'd love to get down south and sit at her table!

The Pierce Thanksgiving has been special for years. We celebrate Christmas at the same time. The family has grown incredibly and it's always super fun to get to see everyone and catch up.

God is so very faithful.

I remember

the year I was put on bedrest while carrying our sweet Hannah

the first Thanksgiving without my dad and how I longed to make that holiday phone call

facetime with our son while he served in Afghanistan; what a thrill to get to see and hear him that day.

I remember various difficulties and uncertainties.

But when I reminisce, what truly stands out in my mind is God's forever faithfulness. Through the experiences of life I have learned that no matter what is going on in the present, God can be trusted for the future. And when you trust Him with your present, you will find you have a past full of faithfulness that you can stand on as you face uncertainties of today.

As believers in the Lord Jesus, we have been instructed to "give thanks in everything, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  The letter to the Thessalonians also admonishes us to "hold on to what is good."

Thursday will soon be here and families all over America will gather and eat and laugh and make new memories. We will take the time to voice the things for which we are thankful.

I have a biblical challenge for you. Let's have a Thursday way of thinking all year long. When we count God's faithfulness and actively thank Him for His provisions, we are strengthened for the next uncertainty that comes along. And it will come along, because that is life on earth.

I love remembering my siblings and that platter of cheeses and olives. I love remembering the wonderful aroma and the gnawing in my stomach as I waited to hear the meal was ready.

Most of all, I love remembering how faithful my God is. Every moment. Every day.

Yes, I think I will adopt a Thursday way of thinking.





No comments:

Post a Comment