Friday, November 11, 2016

Got Freedom? America's Best: Veteran's Day 2016

I recently attended a celebration of life service for a veteran who lived 96 years. I only knew him a short time, but I can tell you it didn't take long to learn he was a man of faith, conviction, humor, and loyalty

I sat and listened as many people shared their stories of friendship and how they will miss him.

The 21-Gun Salute and playing of Taps filled me with awe once again at the bravery and sacrifice of serving our country. And in those moments my mind traveled back to my dad's graveside and the graveside of a dear friend's Dad and how our heart's ache every day for one more conversation, one more hug.

I'm thankful every day of my life that I was born an American. I love our amber waves of grain and the Blue Ridge Mountains of East Tennessee. I love the bayou's of Louisiana and the 10,000 lakes of Minnesota. And I love our flag.

I grew up respecting the flag. We had a very patriotic atmosphere in our home that is difficult to explain. I don't remember a single  "God & Country" conversation as a child, but I knew without a doubt that my parents loved Old Glory and regardless of who was elected president we were to show respect for the office.

As a young adult I was able to have a few talks with my dad about his years of service and later in life he expressed great sorrow over the young men and women fighting overseas. His flag flew perpetually at half staff, "Until they all come home."

We live in perilous times; the differences, issues, and perspectives are as complex and twisted as they have ever been. While I am deeply saddened and what I see and read disturbs me, I am not shaken. I am a loyal American but first and foremost I am a faithful believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. I believe in my heart He has the power to heal what is broken.

While it is not within my reach to fix America, I know it is my responsibility to pray for her and her leaders. I can do my part to be an instrument of peace as the scripture instructs. I can seek truth and stand for truth.

And I will remember and respect what has been given that makes it possible for me to post this blog, pray in public, attend the church of my choosing and cast my vote.

Thank you Veteran, every single day, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment