Monday, June 8, 2015


I Can't Wait to Go to Camp!

Who is in my cabin?

When do we eat?

What are we gonna eat?

That was so fun!

Are we going to ride horses?

When do we eat?

Why do we worship so many times?

Can we sing Gorilla Man Gun?

Do you have a Band-Aid?

Can I ring the dinner bell?

We need more time to work on our skit.

My counselors are awesome!

Pastor Tim is funny!

When do we eat?

Does the Bible really say that?

I'm not going to play those kind of video games anymore.

Thank you Pastor Tim.

I asked Jesus into my heart last night.

I wish camp was another night.

Can I come back as a counselor?

 

And as I walk through the dining hall on Thursday nights after the kids have all gone back to their cabins for devotions, I glance down at the booklets we give them for taking notes when Pastor Tim is teaching. Some have been left open. I smile because not only are these kids taking notes, they are "getting it." They scribble in the margins, not a bunch of squiggly lines and curly Q's, but things they are going to do God's way instead of their own way because of what they have learned.

I thank God for Long View Ranch, Pastor Tim, our super counselors, and a generous church family that provides scholarship money for kids who can't afford camp. I thank God for the kids, each excited face and hyper-active little human being that has been entrusted to me these short days. I thank God for the parents and caregiver the kids will go home to on Friday morning. I wonder how God will use what the kids have learned in the lives of their families...

And I'm just like the kids. Do we have to go home tomorrow? Let's stay just one more night!

4 comments:

  1. God has given you a heart for these kids and I love how you love them! I love how they learn about God's love through you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, would you please join me in prayer for one of your former campers? D.C., my little blonde-headed friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember little Joey at FBC Gramercy?

    ReplyDelete