Monday, June 22, 2015

Bullet Points

Have you noticed the rise in devotion and Bible curriculums that promise little time investment with great return? You know, the "Sunday School Lessons in a Minute" and "Daily Devotions on the Move" kinds of things?


They try to appeal to busy people whose days are packed with deadlines, appointments, and multiple schedules. I'm pretty sure most of us fall into that category. We rush to complete one task so we can get to the next. Our checklist grows almost as if it were a living, breathing creature of sorts. In fact, with as much as you have to accomplish today, I am glad you are using a few of your minutes to read this blog.


As writers, we've been told that people don't want long paragraphs. They want
  • Bullet
  • Points
  • And
  • Short
  • Easy reading
  • Snippets
I can't argue with it. If I discover lengthy discourses when I scan an article or flip through a book my interest level plummets. I will
  • Pass
  • Skip
  • Put it down
  • Scroll on
Technology, McDonalds, Readers Digest, and multi-vitamins have all taught us we can have it our way with little investment in time and energy.

When I open my Bible, it communicates the opposite. God says
  • Be still
  • Linger on His precepts
  • Don't be satisfied with milk
  • Rest in Him
  • Pay attention 
 
I am certain God's plan for His kids is one of depth and strength through time spent with Him. He never meant for us to be a mile wide and an inch deep in our devotion or service.


I've looked. There is not a single bullet point in my Bible. I don't want to be a shallow believer. The storms of life pop up unexpectedly. I want to be deeply rooted so when the
  • Wind blows fiercely
  • The waters rise rapidly
  • The sun's heat scorches
I will be found faithful and productive for His glory. Bullet points in my devotion? I think I'll scroll on.



No comments:

Post a Comment