Saturday, February 10, 2018

My Mother's Moxie

Mom and I have enjoyed a few laughs and some great conversations recently.

I learned some great kitchen shortcuts this week while visiting with her. She showed me how to peel the perfect boiled egg and a fast, easy way to "chop" an egg. Did you know all you do is place a cooling rack above your bowl and push the egg through the metal squares? Genius, I tell you!

She thinks about her kids and grandkids a lot. She remembers things like teaching Abbie new crochet stitches and early morning phone calls from Dodie.

She smiles when hearing about the great grands--would love to cuddle Dolly and kiss the back of Micah's neck. Loves hearing Lilley and Sky shout "I love you, Granny!"

It seems the people she loves--Mike, her children and their spouses, grandkids, great grandkids, Trish, her sisters--they are all on her mind. Even as she appears to be sleeping, she is thinking of the people in her life.

I asked her if she is afraid to die. She is not. Because Jesus lives in her heart, she is secure in knowing when the time comes she'll close her eyes to this world and open them to see Jesus.

Her only concern is for the people she loves. She wants us to be okay. I reminded her, if God is powerful enough to save our souls, He is powerful enough to take care of each one of us until we are together again.

She added something to our talk the other day that is ringing in my heart. She said, "I just want to know I made a difference in this world."

Oh, yes, Mom, you have and continue to make a difference. From telling strangers in the Dollar Tree that God is faithful to crochet stitches that turn into gifts of love to kitchen shortcuts.

With a twinkle in her eyes, she listened as I reminded her of her moxie that lives on in her kids and their kids ... moxie that doesn't quit. Moxie that stands up and moves forward under difficult circumstances. Moxie that looks for a better way. Moxie that makes a difference.

I suppose she verbalized what we all really want in this life ... to make a difference.

While we have today, let's just do it. Be kind to strangers. Forgive those who hurt you. Leave a big tip.

Tell the people around you that God is faithful. Be bold and tell them He is powerful enough to redeem each soul that humbly bows and believes.

I'm so thankful for my mom. I'm thankful for great memories and wonderful talks. I treasure quiet moments.

And moxie. Yeah, I'm super happy about my mother's moxie.

No comments:

Post a Comment