Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Power of YES

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8

I learned a biblical truth from my momma that she didn't teach me through words but rather through her actions. It has helped me immeasurably over the years as a pastor's wife, not to mention raising 4 kids.

There are days when we feel like Eeyore and we are certain the "rain cloud" is hovering over us.

Often there's more month at the end of the money.

Kids bring home notes asking for a parent/teacher meeting.

The boss is unrealistic in demands.

Your family is plagued by every bug and virus that is sweeping through the school.

Or maybe

You face the long good-bye of a loved one battling illness.

You have lost your job and you don't know what to do.

Someone you love is chained by addiction.

As my husband prayed the other morning during staff devotions, some burdens are so heavy we just can't share them with others but we know we can talk with God. Yes, the ever-present Father God. 

I would never make light of another's heartache. Only God knows the weight of the why's and the how's and the when's of what threatens to take our joy.

But here is the biblical truth my momma taught me. Look for the good. Search for what is right. Refuse to give up. Resist the "no" and embrace the "yes."

It takes practice and some days. . . weeks. . . months. . . years. . . are much more difficult than others, but it can be done. With God's help through the power of His Holy Spirit, we can remove the "I can't do this" from our thoughts and words and replace it with "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Are you struggling today? Is there a raincloud hovering over you? Spend some time praising God for everything, EVERY THING, by listing all the ways (big and small) He shows His love.

And as you list, praise Him from your heart. Praise Him, praise  Him, praise Him. I can't explain it, but when you think on what is true, honest, just, pure, lovely. . .anything praiseworthy. . . the way you handle the stress of the day changes.

Thank you, Momma, for teaching me the power of YES.

If you all will excuse me now, I have some true and lovely things to think on.






No comments:

Post a Comment