Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Trouble with Death

The entertainment industry has been knocked back on its heels in recent weeks as the December headlines announce the passing of celebrities such as Alan Thicke, Zsa Zsa Gabor, George Michael, Ricky Harris, and most recent Carrie Fisher followed by her mother beloved actress Debbie Reynolds.

I'm sure that you, like me, feel sorrow for their families as well as for our own loss. The people who have been piped into our homes and cars impact our lives in different ways. Sometimes we even feel like we know them.

I've noticed as each story is told, there is an element of surprise and the news is met with disbelief. It's as if we want to pretend death is elusive.

The trouble with death is. . .the one statistic that cannot change and no one skew is this - one out of every one persons will die.

You may be frowning at this point and even thinking, "Way to go, Shelley. Way to bring in the New Year!"

Hang in there!

Life on earth is but a blip on the radar screen when compared to eternity. So whether a person lives to see 20 or 120, the years cannot compare to eternity.

Here's my New Year's message for you. Begin 2017 by putting your trust in the One who also died but lives again. Hebrews tells us everyone must die and face the consequences of this life. We also read and believe that through Jesus' death and resurrection we can be free from eternal consequences.

I think back over my 53 years and I am continually amazed by God's grace in my life. I can tell you my friend, that whether you live in Germany or Russia, France or America, the price for your sins has been paid.

God could not love you more and He will never love you less.

I do hope and pray God leaves me here another 53 years. I'd love to live a long and fruitful life. But when my time comes to leave this world and my blip on the radar comes to a close, I will begin my eternity in heaven! I truly am anxious to see Jesus! I look forward to hugging my Daddy and running with my friend, Lisa.

Until then, I plan to tell strangers and friends that death is not the end, it's the beginning for those who call upon the name of the Lord.

My prayer for you in 2017? That you might find Jesus is all you need!

(Shout out to Haley for letting me use her sunset picture! Love you, girl!)

No comments:

Post a Comment