Thursday, June 23, 2016

God's Grace--Can I Get A Witness?

I recently had the extreme privilege of speaking with a beautiful young lady as she sought assurance for her salvation. Her mom and I shared scripture and personal experience with her. We listened, we talked, we prayed. I have no doubt of God's hand on this young girl's life. I see the evidence of it. Can I confess I do not understand it? It's really too much for this small mind to comprehend, this thing called God's grace. I remember the day I made sure I was safely nestled in the palm of His hand. I sat and listened as Pastor Sam Jones preached a hell, fire, and brimstone message. And as I listened, my personal sin became heartbreakingly clear. I needed a Savior. I needed The Savior. I gave all I understood of myself to all I understood of Jesus that day. Some 37 years later I am still learning and, little by little, understanding. But grace. I'm not there yet. Some people are saved out of a life entangled with sins such as selfishness, deceit, drug addiction or hatred. Others come to know Jesus as Savior as a child and are saved from those experiences. The wonder of it all, is from God's perspective our testimonies are all the same. Each one us, whether we were playing childhood games or going to work each day or looking to party on the weekends, Christ died for us. Those people you see around you, yes He died for them too. As you sit in a crowded waiting room or stand in line at the grocery store . . . as you eat out this Sunday after church or, wait, yes . . . even as you worship, do you ever wonder about the testimony of the one seated or standing near you? As a friend challenged this morning--talk about Jesus. All the time. Everywhere. Talk about Jesus. We do not know their story, but we can count on one fact. God is working. I don't have to understand electricity to know to plug in the coffee pot. I'm not going to wait until I understand grace to talk about Jesus. Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment